Crime & Tax
Once there was a nation, the greatest as we know,
But is stumbled on some issues that we thought you ought to know,
Crime rates went low, in their nation and around, (Sources: Vox & Stat.Go.JP & UK Parliament)
But mass incarnation was where all their money drowned. (Source: BJS.gov)
They’re people overate and were lost in sedation,
But they thought the cure was to overspent on health (Source: Business Insider)
Doctors could do little as they tried to save them
But little wasn’t enough and lower plunged their wealth
Finally, they crumbled as taxes were reduced (Source: Tax Policy Center)
Historically low, but ‘twas such a reckless move
Growth dipped low as their deficits shot high (Source: White House)
War on drugs was another pointless cry (Source: Drug War Facts)
How could they not see?
To prevent was the key
That made nations prosperous
It affects you and me,
N’ changes out the reality
We need change that’s good for us
The homicide rate in the US is many times larger than the homicide rates in Japan and England.
The homicide rates in the US, Japan, and England have generally been declining since 1990.
The incarcerated (jail + prison) population in the US has reached a high level and peaked at well over 2 million people.
US people spend around $4,500 per person per year out-of-pocket on health care compared with less than $600 in England/UK.
In total, the US spends around 3 times more than people in the UK per person in total.
The US GDP growth has generally declined since 1950.
The US top tax rate has declined from 92% to around 36% since 1950.
Lower tax rates and lower growth rates have contributed to creating large budget deficit.
The war on drugs has generated increasing direct and indirect costs.
1. Homicide rates in the US: https://www.vox.com/2015/8/27/9217163/america-guns-europe
2. Homicide rates in Japan: http://www.stat.go.jp/english/data/nenkan/1431-02.html
3. Homicide rates in the UK: https://web.archive.org/web/20061212174438/http:/www.parliament.uk/commons
4. Prison population in the US: https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm
5. Health care cost comparisons: http://www.businessinsider.com/us-single-payer-debate-comparisons-to-canada-uk-germany-2017-6/#the-uk-nationalized-hospitals-private-insurers-3
6. GDP history in the US: https://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/historical-tables/
7. Top tax rates in the US: http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/statistics/historical-highest-marginal-incom
8. Deficit history in the US: https://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/historical-tables/
9. Drug war history: http://drugwarfacts.org/node/2637
Test Your Knowledge